Online update required for US visa

Writer:   |  Editor: Jane Chen  |  From:   |  Updated: 2022-05-13

Chen Xiaochun

Beginning Nov. 29, all People’s Republic of China passport holders carrying a 10-year visa will be required to have a valid Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) enrollment before traveling to the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced yesterday.

In November 2014, the Chinese and U.S. governments entered into a reciprocal agreement to issue visitor and business travel visas (B1/B2, B1 and B2) with 10-year validity. That same agreement recognized that travelers would be required to periodically complete an online form updating their information.

EVUS is the online system used by Chinese nationals holding a 10-year B1/B2, B1 or B2 (visitor) visa to update basic biographic information to facilitate their travel to the United States.

An information update for the EVUS is referred to as an enrollment. In addition to a valid visa, travelers will be required to complete an EVUS enrollment to be admitted to the United States.

The fee to enroll in the system will be US$8, or approximately 53 yuan, and enrollments are valid for two years or until the traveler obtains a new passport or visa, whichever comes first.

For travelers taking more than one flight to reach the United States, the EVUS enrollment will be verified when they check in for their first flight. Chinese 10-year visa holders seeking to enter the U.S. through a land port of entry must also have a valid EVUS enrollment.

Before Nov. 29, travelers may continue to travel to the United States without an enrollment.

According to news release by the CBP yesterday, information that needs to be updated includes the traveler’s name, birth date, emergency contact, passport information, biographical and employment information. Travelers will also answer questions related to travel eligibility.

A friend, relative, travel industry professional or another third party may submit the required information to EVUS on a traveler’s behalf. A third party may also pay the EVUS fee on behalf of the traveler. The traveler is responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of all information submitted on his or her behalf.

CBP expects to make EVUS available for early enrollments in mid-October, before the mandatory enrollment date. Once the system is available to the public, travelers holding 10-year B1/B2, B1 or B2 visas may enroll in EVUS to ensure they have a valid enrollment before Nov. 29. Please check for the latest information.

What is a B1, B2, or B1/B2 visa? How can I find out what visa type I have?

B category visas are visas for general business and tourist travel to the United States. Your Visa Class, or category, appears in the upper right-hand portion of your visa.