THREE museums in China want to see history education improved, after scandals insulted victims of the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression.
The recent scandals have “severely damaged national dignity,” said a joint statement issued by the Museum of the War of the Chinese People’s Resistance against Japanese Aggression in Beijing, the Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders, and the Sept. 18 Historical Museum in Shenyang.
Laws should be completed, and moral education should be enhanced, according to the statement.
“Museums should use a variety of forms to present history correctly and help the public form correct historic views,” said the statement.
On Thursday, police in east China’s Nanjing city said they had detained a man for posting a video online that used insulting words at the Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders. The suspect was detained by Shanghai police for five days last month after posting content that insulted the victims of the Nanjing Massacre on WeChat.
In February, police in Nanjing detained two men for posing in front of a war ruins site in Japanese army uniforms.
Japanese troops captured Nanjing, then China’s capital, on Dec. 13, 1937, and killed 300,000 Chinese civilians and unarmed soldiers over six weeks.